Gritty Pretty's Editor-in-Chief shares her favourite Australian products
From sun protection to gentle scrubs, moisturising ingredients and masks, there are a number of products on the market specifically designed for lips – with good reason.
As the skin on and around our mouth is more delicate than other areas of our face – much like the eyes – dedicated products that can guard against environmental damage and keep them moisturised are key. (Also – think about what goes on your skin and lips. Do you want to be ingesting potentially harmful ingredients? We think not.)
Instead of using any old balm or sunscreen and hoping it will do the trick, consider adopting:
- Cocoa butter: This is a highly nourishing and protective agent.
- Shea butter: Intensely hydrating and full of Vitamin E, fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is moisturising, food-safe and has numerous benefits.
- Apricot seed oil: This oil is used to help hydrate and protect the skin.
With moisturising ingredients well under way, it’s also important to consider the benefits of using:
- Gentle scrub: Buff away any dry skin. Much like the face, we don’t recommend exfoliating the more than two to three times a week to avoid unwanted irritation or damage.
- Sun block: Look for everyday balms and colours or tints that guard against UV rays to minimise the risk of damage, scarring or melanoma.
- Mask: Some brands offer intensely hydrating formulas that are great for overnight treatments or days when you feel like going makeup-free.
Much like other areas on the face, the lips have unique needs and ingredients that they best respond to. Consider investing in a dedicate formula that does what it says it will do.
With every product in our collection checked for safety, efficacy and consideration, we believe that you’ll find a nourishing blend among our shelves.
Want to learn more? Check out our a-beauty articles further exploring the benefits of skin health, protection and care.